TBB Cheerleaders: Tampa Bay Vision Walk

Earlier in the year, Maria Cartagena, a five-year veteran of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Cheerleaders came to visit the squad and shared that she had been diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa. RP is characterized as progressive peripheral vision loss and night vision difficulties that can eventually lead to central vision loss.

The cheerleaders were immediately compelled to act. We have shown our support by attending fundraisers, donating to research and support organizations, and most importantly have just been there to show Maria how much she is loved and supported by our organization.

Our efforts to support Maria were most visible Saturday, October 27, at Al Lopez Park, where current and former cheerleaders took part in the Tampa Bay Vision Walk with over 350 other participants. Our team was one of the largest, with over 50 people coming out to show their support for Maria and others affected by vision disabilities. Our team wore matching purple “Marching for the Cure” shirts displaying her initials to show our commitment to Maria and her battle. Together we were able to raise over $8,600. Continue reading

TBB Cheerleaders: Already Embracing Military Appreciation Week

On October 15, I had the honor of visiting the men and woman of the James A. Haley Veterans Hospital of Tampa with some of my fellow teammates for a fun night of Bingo and ice cream.

Upon arriving, I quickly realized that some of the wounded veterans were even younger than me, with the ages ranging from 19 to 100 years old. I can’t begin to imagine the sacrifices they have made to serve and protect our country and an overwhelming feeling of gratitude rushed over me.

I found my Bingo seat next to Tom, a Vietnam War veteran. He shared his story with Continue reading

Bucs Treat Courageous Mom to Memorable Experience

As encouraging as Sunday’s 38-10 win over Kansas City was, the Bucs have now moved on completely to the incoming New Orleans Saints.  Similarly, last week’s dual themes of Breast Cancer Awareness and the Ring of Honor have given away to this week’s focus, the Throwback Game.

Before we turn the page completely, however, there is one more story from Sunday’s uplifting day at Raymond James Stadium that is worth sharing.  It actually took place just before the Bucs and Chiefs began to do battle.

Continue reading